If you experience any issues when connecting to your bike and you use an Android device, try the following steps. Make sure your device is supported by checking the device issues article. If you have an iOS device, see the iOS article.
1: Make sure your bike is responsive
- Does the bike respond to any button press? It should either play a sound, the lights should turn on, the Halo ring should turn on or the Matrix display should react.
- If not, make sure the bike is charged. When the battery is fully empty, it can take at least 30 minutes for the bike to turn on again.
- The bike could have entered deep sleep mode because of low or high temperatures. Make sure the temperature is between 5 °C – 30 °C and press and press the power button on the bottom of the top tube to turn the bike on for 3 seconds.
- Make sure you’re within about 3 m of your bike. The signal strength can vary depending on your phone model and other conditions.
2: If this is the first time connecting to the bike
- Do you see the bike in the VanMoof app ‘Garage’? If not, you might be logged in with the wrong account, or you first need to register the bike in the app.
- Make sure you’re connected to the internet. The bike needs to retrieve the digital keys from the internet before it can connect.
3: If you’ve connected to the bike before
- Make sure there’s no other devices trying to connect to the bike. Are there any tablets, other phones or people you’ve shared the bike with nearby?
- Are there any other apps trying to connect to the bike on your phone? 3rd Party apps prevent the VanMoof app in connecting to your bike.
- If you have multiple bikes, did you select the right bike in the garage? The app can only connect to one bike at a time.
- Make sure the app is up-to date. Go to the Play Store and check for updates.
- Make sure you’re connected to the internet. Although you can connect to the bike without internet, sometimes internet is needed to refresh your digital keys.
- Toggle bluetooth on & off on your phone. Not from the control center, but from the Bluetooth settings page.
- Ensure the location permission is granted and location services are enabled.
- Ensure that battery optimisations are disabled for the app. For tips for your device see https://dontkillmyapp.com.
- Force close the app and open it again.
- Disconnect your other Bluetooth devices.
- Reboot your phone.
- Reset the bike by holding the power button on the bottom of the top tube.
- S5 & A5 only: Go to your bluetooth settings and remove the ‘VANMOOF’ device. Your phone will ask to pair with the bike again after a little while.
- Try to connect to the bike with a different device.
4: If you still can’t connect
Your bike might need a repair. Book an appointment to have one of our Bike Doctors look at the issue.