This article will teach you all you need to know about how to charge your battery, take care of your battery, and how to store your bike (and battery) when you’re not using it for a while.
Charging your e-bike
VanMoof S3 & X3s (and Electrified S2 & X2) have an integrated battery (504W capacity) that can’t be removed for charging. To charge your bike, follow these steps:
- Plug the charger (included in your box) into a power outlet and connect the other end to your bike, on the underside of the top tube.
- The battery will automatically stop charging when it reaches full capacity.
A full charge takes about four hours, and you can reach 50% charge in 80 minutes.
- Try to avoid fully discharging when it’s not necessary. The optimal battery percentage is between 10% and 90%.
- Unplug your bike when it’s fully charged.
Use VanMoof’s first PowerBank if you don’t have a power outlet nearby, or need some extra range for your rides.
Use your Turbo Boost thoughtfully. Pressing that button non-stop is demanding on your battery.
Note: For protection, VanMoof batteries will not charge below 0°C/32°F. If it’s cold outside, it’s always better to charge your bike inside at room temperature (between 15-25Cº). Charge you bike indoors, in a well-ventilated dry location (moisture and extreme temperature fluctuations can affect the charging process).
Storing or parking your bike for longer periods of time
To keep your battery healthy and your bike functioning like normal, it’s important to store your bike correctly when not using your bike for a while.
If you plan on not using your bike for:
- 1-3 weeks - Leave your bike with the battery at around 40-60% of charge.
- +4 weeks - Leave your bike plugged-in the charger.
To protect the battery from fully draining, your bike will go into shipping mode if unused for a while, meaning your bike might not (auto) wake-up like normal. If your bike isn’t turning on, follow the steps below:
- Plug your bike in the charger and charge it for about two hours
- Wake up your bike with a quick reset by pressing the power button for 2 seconds
- Turn your bike on
If your bike is still not responding, find a solution to your problem here.
Outside temperatures can significantly influence the performance of your battery. The range and power output of a battery will be better in mild to warm weather rather than in sub-zero conditions. If you do park your bike outdoors in the cold, just make sure the battery isn't totally empty.
Charging a battery in sub-zero temperatures may damage the battery – we recommend charging at room temperature. To be safe, it’s best to give your bike about an hour to warm up to room temperature before you plug the charger in. To protect the battery from damage, it can’t charge when its internal temperature falls below 0°C. If the battery is too cold, your display will show ‘error 21’ when you plug in the charger.
The battery cells themselves won’t deliver power when their internal temperature falls below -10°C. That means you won’t be able to use motor assistance. Of course, you can still ride your bike without the motor assistance.
In low temperatures, you may notice that your battery drains faster and the Turbo Boost feels slightly less powerful. Riding on a lower power assist level for the first few minutes will give your battery a chance to warm up properly.
Low battery level
If your battery is running low, some vital functions of your VanMoof S3 & X3 bike will remain active, while shutting down others.
This is what happens when your battery hits critical energy levels:
- Less than 5%: Your bike will deactivate the support motor but will keep your lights, gear shifting, display, and sounds active.
- Less than 3%: Your bike will now also deactivate the lights and display. Your electronic gear shifting will shift to the 2nd gear only.
Lifecycle and warranty
The VanMoof S3 & X3's integrated battery is rated for over 800 charge cycles before it falls below 70% of its original total capacity. Our bike warranty guarantees all original bike components for a period of three years from the date of delivery.
Please get in touch if your battery needs servicing. The S3 & X3's integrated battery should only be removed by VanMoof Bike Doctors unless otherwise instructed.