If you experience any issues when connecting to your bike and you use an iOS device, try the following steps. If you have an Android device, see the Android article.
Make sure your bike is responsive
- Does the bike respond to any button press? It should either play a sound, the lights should turn on, the Halo ring should turn on or the Matrix display should react.
- If not, make sure the bike is charged. When the battery is fully empty, it can take at least 30 minutes for the bike to turn on again.
- The bike could have entered deep sleep mode because of low or high temperatures. Make sure the temperature is between 5 °C – 30 °C and press and press the power button on the bottom of the top tube to turn the bike on for 3 seconds.
- Make sure you’re within about 3 m of your bike. The signal strength can vary depending on your phone model and other conditions.
If this is the first time connecting to the bike
- Do you see the bike in the VanMoof app ‘Garage’? If not, you might be logged in with the wrong account, or you first need to register the bike in the app.
- Make sure you’re connected to the internet. The bike needs to retrieve the digital keys from the internet before it can connect.
If you’ve connected to the bike before
- Make sure there’s no other devices trying to connect to the bike. Are there any tablets, other phones or people you’ve shared the bike with nearby?
- Are there any other apps trying to connect to the bike on your phone? 3rd Party apps prevent the VanMoof app from connecting to your bike.
- If you have multiple bikes, did you select the right bike in the ‘Garage’? The VanMoof app can only connect to one bike at a time.
- Make sure the VanMoof app is up-to date. Go to the App Store and check for updates.
- Make sure you’re connected to the internet. Although you can connect to the bike without internet, sometimes internet is needed to refresh your digital keys.
- Toggle Bluetooth on and off on your phone. Not from the control center, but from the Bluetooth settings page.
- Force close the VanMoof app and open it again.
- If you have an Apple watch, disconnect it temporarily (put the watch in flight mode).
- Disconnect any other Bluetooth devices.
- Restart your phone.
- Reset the bike by holding the power button on the bottom of the top tube for 15 seconds.
- S5 & A5 model only: Go to your Bluetooth settings and remove the ‘VANMOOF’ device. Your phone will ask to pair with the bike again after a little while.
- Try to connect to the bike with a different device.
If you still can’t connect
Your bike might need a repair. Book an appointment to have one of our Bike Doctors look at the issue.